A second monumental gateway was built outside the Buland Darwaza during Shah Jahan’s reign. The inscription on the gateway indicates that it was built to commemorate a victory of Shah Jahan. This gateway is variously known as the Shah Jahani Darwaza and the Naqqar Khana, the latter because it was used to house tow immense drums, which came from Bengal.
An earlier reference suggests, however, that there was some kind of naqqar khana before the reign of Shah Jahan. Early in Ramadan (1574) the atmosphere of Ajmer became fragrant from the storm raised by the musk-like hoof of royal horses. The king went straight to the shrine of Khwaja Moinuddin and duly observed the necessary religious ceremonies there, and from the spoils of Bengal, two big drums, which from the first day had been kept apart to be presented to the Khwaja, were brought and presented to the Naqqar Khana.
It is also known as Qalima darwaza as Qalima Tayyaba is inscribed clearly on the monument. Inside the doorway the flooring is made up of marble. When you move ahead of the doorway one can find stairs to the Akbari Masjid to the right, and in front stands the Buland Darwaza.
Browse Here to Return To Virtual Tour of Ajmer Sharif Dargah